Tuesday 26 July 2016

#349: THE VVITCH


2015
Directed by Robert Eggers
Supernatural Horror, Psychological Horror




The VVitch has taken the Horror community by storm and for good reason. I've not bought a Blu-Ray on the day of release for a while now, but after hearing all the glowing reviews, I was excited to see it. Well after one viewing I was completely impressed, I could have easily watched it again right away if I had time. This is my kind of Horror film because it thinks outside the box. If I was to compare it to the recent The Conjuring films (which I also really liked), both have supernatural elements, are set in periods from the past yet their impact hit me in completely different ways. The Conjuring relies more on jump scares and periods of silence that suddenly explode into loud frightening moments that catch you off guard. The Conjuring films have some unbearably tense moments where I felt like I couldn't look at the screen. The VVitch was different though, I never was so scared that I had to look away, and it doesn't really push the jump scares so much. What it does really well is just builds up a very creepy atmosphere.

In a rare move for a Horror film, The VVitch gives away its antagonist almost immediately (well, within the first 10 minutes) which took me by shock, as films in the supernatural genre tend to like to build up the suspense and make the big reveal at the end of the film. I thought it was a bold move after seeing that scene, I was completely hooked. The pacing of the film is excellent and there are practically no wasted moments in the film. The expanse of the surrounding forest is used to beautiful effect, and throughout the film it feels like something is lurking and watching in the trees in the background. The film has a low key but effective plot that keeps you guessing right 'til the end. In particular I loved the creepy, vocal soundtrack that sounded like witches chanting in a ritual. Also this has to be the finest performance from a goat in a film since Island of Death! The whole film is like seeing your favourite Black Metal albums come to life! The VVitch is a supremely enjoyable Horror flick, and whilst it doesn't do anything particularly new, it will manage to creep you out effortlessly, in a similar way to The Babadook before it, or perhaps creepy classics like The Wicker Man or Don't Look Now. 8/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment