Wednesday 27 July 2016

AN INTERVIEW WITH RIFF FEST


RIFF FEST is an annual Extreme Metal festival that has taken place every August for the past two years at The Alma Inn in Bolton. Unlike many other music festivals, this all day event is completely FREE entry. Riff Fest showcases many of the UK's greatest Extreme Metal acts, with a leaning towards (but not restricted to) Sludge and Doom Metal. Over the past years, established acts such as Slabdragger, Iron Witch, Widows, Boss Keloid and the mighty Raging Speedhorn have all performed.


Riff Fest 2016 will take place on Saturday August 27th with Liverpool's Doom Metal titans CONAN headlining! 


Poster artwork by Alex Aspinall


I spoke to the man behind Riff Fest, Adam Swarbrick to find out more about the festival.


Adam performing with Boss Keloid at The Alma Inn.


So Riff Fest hits it's 3rd year in August, how did this project start and what inspired you to make it happen?

The idea for Riff Fest came one evening in the pub. I said to Jim [MacGranthin, boss at The Alma Inn] "let me have the bank holiday weekend in August, let's get all our mates together and have a party", in its simplest terms. The emphasis being on a party full, where all the UK's riff merchants and fans can come together in one place at the end of summer and have a right ball. I love that idea.


Do you work alone or do you have a team?

I book the bands and Jim's the financier [laughs]! Alex Aspinall my old friend since my school days provides the artwork.


What on earth do you do to convince such great bands like Slabdragger, Raging Speedhorn and Conan to headline a free festival?

Good question. Maybe it's a few things. The first years success took me by surprise. A pleasant surprise. It was a great feeling seeing how much everyone, bands and punters alike had a whale of a time. I like to think the event and the name gathered a good reputation after that. Throughout the year I was thrilled to hear from people that that day was the best day of the year. It's so good to know people enjoyed themselves so much. We'll continue to provide a fun day, free of dickheads and drama as long as people want such an event.

As to how bands of such stature come down to a tiny pub in a shit hole town for a free event, I'd like to think we're all pals and down for a good knees up at the end of the summer. We're all pals and in the same game at the end of the day and everyone enjoys booze, riffs and barbecues [laughs]!


Do you put a lot of your own money into Riff Fest and do you manage to turn a profit, break even or perhaps make a loss?

This year I've had to dip my hand in my own pocket a little, but it's down to Jim for the majority of the financing. I steer well clear of that [laughs]! I'm quite happy just arranging the best line-up I can.


The Alma Inn is considered to be one of the homes of great Metal in the North West, what makes the Alma special to you?

Again, good question. It's been a hub of rock and metal, punk, rockabilly, you name it for as long as I can remember. I've been a patron here for 10+ years and it's always been almost like my second home for that entire time. It's a great old fashioned pub, full of decent people who like music. Simple really. Then Jim came along however many years ago and really gave it a kick up the arse and installed an unrivaled rig. Add into that his technical know how, you've got all the ingredients required for the loudest, best equipped small venue in the country. Hands down.


Which band are you most looking forward to seeing at Riff Fest 2016?

To have bagged Conan as the outdoor headliners is a real coup. We've had them on here a number of times, but not since way back in like, 2011 or something. So it's gonna be excellent to see a band who've gone from playing their trade in small venues in crappy towns, to go on and pretty much conquer the world, come back and show us just how far they've come.

I'm looking forward to Foetal Juice. They're going to spice things up a bit. The crowd should go absolutely apeshit for them men. I'm really excited to see that. A grind/death metal band with 10+ years of experience in them, don't fuck about.

Shout out to my homeslices in Chubby Thunderous Bad Kush Masters. They're really favourites of mine. 

STRAIN! Perhaps an unknown name to some unfortunately, but they were the kings about 10 years ago. And now, a reformed Strain return with a new lineup. Gonna be amazing. Great memories of watching Strain destroy the Alma when I was younger. I've been missing Strain for many years, I think they were ahead of their time, I know that they will rule at Riff Fest and make everyone a fan.

Also, ENOS! A band rarely seen around here, they were one of the first names I had down and I'm really excited to have them up here.


Do you have a performance from the previous two Riff Fest's that stands out the most in your memory?

BongCauldron at the first Riff Fest. There's some cracking footage online where it's kicking off as they play 'Bigfoot Reigns' and Jim has to come in and wrestle through the crowd to fix the roof because it's falling down [laughs]! I watch that frequently and smile.

Obviously Raging Speedhorn. I grew up doodling their logos in my school books, and to book them at my local and have them level the place is something I'll take to the grave with me. So that's a really cool thing and I love that.


And finally, what are your future plans for Riff Fest. Will it always be free or do you want to expand?

To tell the truth, we were approached to expand the festival into an outdoor event, elsewhere, which, whilst initially flattering, wouldn't have worked. As I said at the beginning, it's a party full of all our friends at the local. Let's just continue to have fun and headbang down at the local. 



...And here is that footage of BongCauldron courtesy of Monster Riffage! This will give you an idea of the craziness that will take place at Riff Fest '16!




Thanks to Riff Fest and Adam Swarbrick for taking the time to chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment