Tuesday 7 November 2017

ALBUM REVIEW: PRIMITIVE MAN - CAUSTIC

PRIMITIVE MAN
CAUSTIC

Relapse Records.
Sludge Metal.
Listening Format: CD




'Caustic' is the second full length record from Denver, Colorado based Sludge Metal trio Primitive Man... Boy is this some HEAVY shit right here! I've listened to a lot of heavy and extreme music in my time to the point where I'm rarely surprised by sadistically abrasive music any more, but 'Caustic' really set me back. Right from the first few seconds of 'My Will', I was hit with this ultra swampy, crushing and earth shattering sound that pricked up my ears. I guess in terms of composition it is very much Sludge Metal at heart, but the presentation, sound and production here is something unique. Primitive Man have really pushed the ridiculous levels. I don't know what kind of amps and pedals they have setup on this album but DAMN!!! This just might be the heaviest record I've EVER HEARD!!!

The entire record runs for 77 minutes and never once lets up. The actual riffs and compositions aren't quite breaking new ground, but they are certainly good, with plenty of scorching riffs. I actually find that the lengthier tracks like 'Commerce' and 'Disfigured' work to the bands strengths even better, creating a savage onslaught that escalates in intensity. In a way, the riffs and chord choices are fairly repetitive and simplified, but then you shouldn't expect anything less from a band called Primitive Man. Don't expect the dynamic nuances of Neurosis. Primitive Man's strength on this album is the horrible, suffocating atmosphere they have created. I find 'Caustic' is best experienced in its entirety, on CD, with no breaks. It is genuinely a challenge to even make it to the end of the record because it is so savage. Sure a record this slow, plodding and repetitive doesn't exactly need to be 77 minutes long, but in this context it totally works in their favour. Think of this record as a sadistic psychopath who has kidnapped you and tied you to a table. Each track acts like a different deadly weapon or tool in which to torture the victim with. Does a sadistic maniac want you to have an easy 40 minute ride, or do they want to brutalise and mutilate you as slowly and painfully as they can, for as long as possible?!

Listening to 'Caustic' is like slowly being beaten to death with a sledgehammer. Starting at the kneecaps, and then inviting a larger array of sharp objects searing into delicate places. Primitive Man deliver totally nihilistic, miserable, hate fueled noisy Sludge that will end up breaking you down mentally. The insane guttural, monstrous vocals sound demonic... This CAN'T have been made my humans!!! At times the sheer weight of the riffs gets so ridiculous that I couldn't help but laugh out loud at a couple of points, if only to cleanse my own sanity. But in terms of sound and atmosphere, 'Caustic' is a huge achievement. It really does go the extra mile and rises above a lot of other recent brutal Sludge records I've heard. 'Caustic' is not only the aural equivalent of a sadistic, exploitation Horror film, but I genuinely feel like this could be a landmark release in Extreme Metal. It's the kind of album where other bands, sound engineers and producers will listen to it and think "Shit son... We gotta up our game!" 8/10.



No comments:

Post a Comment