Thursday 18 February 2016

#301: SUN KIL MOON - UNDER THE CANOPY

2016
Folk, Singer/Songwriter



It's February 18th 2016 and I'm thinking it's been a long wait since the last Sun Kil Moon release, 12 years to be precise, since the iconic Hootie and the Blowfish covers album, "Ghosts of the Great Hootie", released back in 2004. I remember being mesmerized by the album receiving the rare 9.1415926535897 recurring rating from Pitchfork, but it looks like this latest one only received an 8.9, but hey that's okay too. Though it is only an EP running just shy of 15 minutes, I was happy just to hear Mark pick up his guitar again and sing us his beautiful songs. "Under the Canopy", which features a beautiful shot of a lake that he probably took on his I-phone and said "hey, that'll do", but it honesty it looks really pretty and suits it well. The EP opens with "I Watched the Movie The Revenent With Leo DiCaprio At the Midnight Movies When I Was a Child and it Mesmerized Me Even More Than the Time I Saw Godflesh Back In '92". I love the repetitive use of just two notes that sounded like DJ Premier had left his turntable on a loop and forgot to turn it off, but it's full of true emotion and beautiful melody. In particular the use of the vocal layering and overdubs reminded me of the time I went to Cotswold Wildlife Park back in the summer of 1998, where I wrongly dropped acid for the first time inside the bat cave and I was convinced I saw 100 tiny Draculas engulf my body and drain me of all my blood. I remember that time well as it was the first time I met Caroline, she had to scrape my drooling and vomiting body off the floor of the bat cave and she was a real gem because she helped me get all my clothes back on and drove me to the hospital. It's lovely to see that Mark managed to patch things up with The War On Drugs, who perform backing vocals on "Already Gone" and make some weird kind of slobbering sounds too... Once again it features guitar playing that isn't at all repetitive and totally beautiful, in fact it made my eyes weep. The album climaxes with the extraordinarily overwhelming acoustic masterpiece that is "Fields of Marigold", and after it was over I went back to my hotel room to start typing up this review, and I cried like a little girl. I can definitely see why it has been so long since the last Sun Kil Moon release 'cause it totally doesn't sound like this was knocked up in a day in his bedroom in San Francisco. I was just about to publish this review on my blog, but then I suddenly got a call from Caroline... Wait... What... What's a Jesu? It's a parade? What do you mean it's a parade? No you're pronouncing it wrong... Parody? You know I don't speak French. Anyway Caroline, I've got to go and post this review, it's not as if Mark Kozelek releases an album or two every year you know... Fuck!! 9.1415926535897 recurring/10

No comments:

Post a Comment