Monday 1 February 2016

#293: BOARDS OF CANADA - TRANS CANADA HIGHWAY


2006.
IDM, Ambient, Electronic.
Warp Records.


When it comes to Warp Records artists, I tend to prefer their EPs to their actual full length LPs. Autechre and Aphex Twin tend to release an EP or two around the same time as each album, and with both of these artists I love the EPs even more (and the albums are brilliant too of course). The same goes with Boards of Canada. "In a Beautiful Place..." to me is their magnum opus, even if it is a third the length of "Geogaddi" (which is also a masterpiece). Perhaps I have a short attention span, or maybe I like it when things are concise?


If I had to pick between "The Campfire Headphase" or this one, I think the EP wins again! I know that "Dayvan Cowboy" was already on the album, but this may just be Boards of Canada's greatest tune! I think it works well in its own EP because the songs that surround it seem to fit that sound better than on the album (which to be fair is more diverse). Some fans criticised the addition of guitars on "Campfire...", but on "Dayvan Cowboy" they are so excellently placed, and used sparingly. If anything they enhance the power and the mood of their gorgeous floaty synth sounds. The track definitely has a My Bloody Valentine feel, and is also one of the most uplifting and beautiful songs I've ever heard. Watch it with the brilliant music video for an even enhanced feeling.

"Left Side Drive" and "Skyliner" have similar sounds and moods to the opening masterpiece. I love the way the synth sounds translucent, like it is slowly disappearing into the ether. I get the feeling of gazing out of the window of a plane as it sweeps through the clouds, with the beautiful glistening sea below. Perhaps it should have been called "Trans Canada Skyway" instead. The Odd Nosdam remix that closes this EP doesn't seem to get much love, but I liked it. It's a very minimalist and vaporous version that goes into more pure Ambient territory and it is a nice way to close a truly beautiful record. This is Boards of Canada at their prettiest and most emotional. A triumphant and uplifting record. 9/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment